Industrial fasteners are essential hardware devices that are used in a variety of sectors. The basic function of an industrial fastener is to join two separate pieces of equipment together. A majority of various industrial components are appended using these types of fasteners. That is why manufacturers offer various forms of fasteners including screws, studs, bolts, anchors, nuts, washers, pins, and plugs to name only a few.Choosing Industrial Fasteners
A reasonable amount of knowledge is required to know which would be the best fastener to use in an application. The first aspect to know is the raw material with which it has been constructed. Popular raw materials include stainless steel, brass, carbon steel, aluminum, and even titanium. Manufacturers produce these fasteners in various designs, sizes, and dimensions. These aspects have to be considered along with the following application factors.
- Mechanical properties
- Environmental forces (temperature, heat or cold, weather conditions, etc.)
- Resistance to corrosion
- Provision of protective coatings
To ensure their longevity, manufacturers see to it that only high grade materials and the best equipment are used to manufacture these fasteners. This allows them to provide excellent service in high stress and pressure applications in various industries.
General Uses of Industrial Fasteners
All the above mentioned details make industrial fasteners extremely in various applications. A few popular ones are mentioned below.
- Automobiles: Automotive bolts and screws are widely used in the automobile sector. Bolts are used in front and rear axles, and are also used in transmission applications. Automotive screws are used in practically every part of a car, from seat anchoring, attaching components to the body, or screwing electronic components in the interiors.
- Aerospace: Industrial bolts are the fastener of choice in the aerospace industry. Most bolts are constructed from titanium to provide optimum performance under extreme weather conditions and protection from corrosion. Eddie bolts, threaded lockbolts, ergo-tech bolts are used to install various aircraft components such as vertical fins, movable trailing edges, and aft and forward fuselages.
- Construction: Construction fasteners are generally manufactured using stainless steel to meet the varied requirements of construction materials such as wood, steel, and concrete. Self drilling or self tapping screws can be used to create strong joints within sheet metal and concrete. Heavy duty bolts and nuts are used to join large pieces of building steel frames.
It is clear to see that industrial fasteners have an integral place in the applications of various sectors.